birding-aus

East Timor parrots

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: East Timor parrots
From: Steve <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 19:02:59 +1000
G'day all

I'm just back from a week on East Timor and wondered if anyone could help with
the id of a flock of 5 parrots I saw on Atauro Island.  They streaked across
the sky and appeared essentially green.  No obvious splashes of colour on the
body and definitely green underwings.  The two candidates are Magnolia Lorikeet
(Trichoglossus capistratus) and Olive-headed Lorikeet (T. euteles).  Magnolia
Lorikeet is an essentially greenish Rainbow Lorikeet and I assume this would
have red underwings.  The field guide for East Timor doesn't show either in
flight and doesn't mention underwing colour.  I've also had a bit of a search
online.

Can anyone with experience with these species or access to 'Birds of the World'
please tell me the underwing colours.

I'll compile a short report on the trip and post it in due course.

Many thanks

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Vic