birding-aus

The Killer Inside - Roadkill of the Week - Wedge-tailed Eagle, Roper Hig

To: "Birding-Aus (Forum)" <>
Subject: The Killer Inside - Roadkill of the Week - Wedge-tailed Eagle, Roper Highway NT
From: Bob Gosford <>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 12:16:44 +0930
All,

An account of a recent, unfortunate and regrettably too-common incident.

"People don’t kill birds, cars kill birds.

Well, that might be my justification if I was to defend myself if charged
with the bird-slaughter (there was no intent, so it couldn’t be murder) of
a young Wedge-tailed Eagle last week.

But that would be a lie. People kill birds.

With their cars and by their blind rushes of speed, thoughtlessness and
unwillingness to slow down to allow the birds – engorged with carrion flesh
– to raise from the carcasses that litter our highways.

I drive around the Top End of the NT a lot and, as regular readers of The
Northern Myth would know, I have written extensively about roadkills that I
have encountered <http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/?s=roadkill> in my
travels around the NT and the rest of Australia."

More here:
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2013/06/23/the-killer-inside-roadkill-of-the-week-wedge-tailed-eagle/

--
Bob Gosford