birding-aus

Fred

To: <>
Subject: Fred
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 09:28:34 +1000
Hi all,

Over 60 years ago as a teenager I met Fred Smith on several of his many
trips to the Altona area. Fred would have been a young man in his 20's then
and as I recall the BOC (who I had become a member of) was conducting some
sort of survey with nesting Silver Gulls. As it was so long ago and my
memory now not so good I don't remember a lot but I know I went by train (as
someone else mentioned) with my friend Stephen Temple Watts and walked to
the area we were surveying.

Over the years life takes different courses and I moved away from active
bird watching, married and raised children and 40 years ago headed north to
Queensland. And it was only then that I, and indeed my whole family, got
back into active bird watching when Betty Temple Watts gave me a sub to the
RAOU. But over all those intervening years the name of Fred Smith would come
up and it was always complimentary about his ability to help new and some
older birdwatchers! Another name that remains in my mind from those days in
1950 was Roy Wheeler.

I join with all the bird fraternity and Fred's family. He will be sorely
missed.

John C Walter

Pittsworth Qld