birding-aus

Some North Qld sightings including Golden Bowerbird

To: "Birding" <>
Subject: Some North Qld sightings including Golden Bowerbird
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:38:29 +1000
Greetings,
Have been a bit busy so no news yet on my travels but a few sightings from the
Tablelands of the Wet Tropics.

193 Pink-eared Duck at Hasties Swamp
1 Freckled Duck at Hasties Swamp
50 Australian Pratincole on newly ploughed paddocks on Forsayth Rd.
6 Australian Bustard on the grass next door

I have visited two Golden Bowerbird bowers today and both birds are active.
Blue-faced Parrot-Finches have been seen on the southern Tablelands up until a
fortnight ago and I may have seen one juvenile but that's it. I have no idea
where the Double-eyed Fig-Parrots are feeding around here at the moment. All
the owls are active except I’ve seen no Grass Owls in the week I’ve been home.
Barking are calling in Yungaburra most evenings but the rest are largely
silent. Sarus Cranes and Brolgas are in good numbers in their usual roosts but
apart from Cook Road and nearby I do not know hwere they are feeding.
REgards,
Alan

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road