birding-aus

Albany to Hobart

Subject: Albany to Hobart
From: Robert Hamilton <>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 20:44:08 +1000
Hi everyone,

I travelled on the Spirit of Enderby from Albany to Hobart in early December
2012, and have finally put "my take" on the voyage on my website. It was a lot
of fun, but a few more birds would have made it better. The day with a good
number of Sooty Albatross and regular Gould's Petrel sightings were my
highlights.  We did have some excellent cetacean encounters with a large pod of
Southern Right Whale Dolphin with Long-finned Pilot Whale, the highlight.

http://bulbsbirdsnmore.com.au/Great_Australian_Bight/Welcome.html

I have refrained from adding personal anecdotes, but would have liked to
mention who fell over more times than myself, and who missed what because of a
call of nature, as well as why those at the bow rarely stopped laughing, but I
didnt.

Tasmania has had  some great mainland vagrants this year and it has been a
delight to see Banded Stilts at Ralphs Bay as well as Bruny Island, a group of
5 White-necked Heron on Bruny Island, as well as Freckled and Pink-eared Ducks
at Gould's Lagoon. The Freckled Duck have now been here almost 3 months with
the Pink-eared turning up  about 2 weeks ago.

Cheers,

Rob Hamilton
Margate, Tasmania