birding-aus

OBP reports

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: OBP reports
From: Debbie Lustig <>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 22:37:35 +1000
As founder of 'Save the Orange-bellied Parrot" on Facebook, I am more
obsessed about OBPs than is perhaps healthy. But here's my take on
publishing reports.

The nasty little secret about all threatened species is photography - we all
want good snaps in case the buggers up and disappear. But there are hundreds
of great photos of OBPs! Who are we kidding? We want to take home our very
own, cuddly parrot pic out of pure hubris.

Our priorities need an overhaul. It's fantastically foolish to post exact
locations on the internet. By all means tell your friends but not the
entire, known universe. There are no words for the trouble that could
invite.

Let's get real. If we want it to survive, we need to forget about
image-making and concentrate on ameliorating threats to the OBP. Because, of
all the numerous difficulties facing this bird, the only one we CAN control
is human disturbance.