birding-aus

Werakata SCA and NP - where is the Car Park?

To: <>
Subject: Werakata SCA and NP - where is the Car Park?
From: "Carl Weber" <>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 12:56:23 +1000
Hi Mick Roderick and all,

Yesterday I went to Werakata. My first site was about 10 km SW of Cessnock,
at Pelton. I turned east from Ellalong Rd into Pelton Rd (a poorly
maintained dirt track), and stopped at an intersection about 500 m in, at a
site where there has been extensive illegal dumping of rubbish. In
particular, there are 4 dumped mattresses and a bed - I call this site The
Bedroom.  Here I found a pair of Swift Parrots and a single Little Lorikeet.

My second site was between Kitchener and Abernethy, along the Kearsley South
Fire Trail, to the north of Abernethy Rd. About 200 m in, a bike trail leads
down into a gully, where 2 or 3 cars were dumped many years ago. Here I did
not see any swift parrots or lorikeets. Black-chinned honeyeaters stopped
briefly at the head of the bike trail.

Mick, when you reported some swift parrots on Birdline on Friday, at the car
park at Pelton, were you referring to either of these sites?

Best wishes,

Carl Weber