birding-aus

Australian Bird Names: A Complete Guide

To: Birding-Aus Aus <>
Subject: Australian Bird Names: A Complete Guide
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 15:10:43 +1000
My copy of "Australian Bird Names: A Complete Guide" by Ian Fraser and Jennie
Gray, arrived in the post today.

The cover of the book says of the title " This book is aimed at anyone with an
interest in birds, words, or the history of Australian biology and bird
watching. It discusses common and scientific names of every Australian bird, to
tease out the meanings, which may be useful, useless or downright misleading".
The pronunciation of all scientific names is also given, including Gerygone.

After a quick burrow through the book, I would say that it will be very useful
for stopping arguments, starting arguments and providing one with enough data
on the naming of Australian birds to be able to bore ones friends witless for
ages.

An essential book for the bird nerd.

Carl Clifford