birding-aus

Thesis topic #2308 - Peckers vs Scratchers

To: "" <>
Subject: Thesis topic #2308 - Peckers vs Scratchers
From: Gary Davidson <>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 10:04:00 -0700 (PDT)
In North America I have often seen the Killdeer (Charadrius viceferous) using
its feet. It uses them in a manner similar to that which Vim has described for
some gulls. The Killdeer appears to be 'marching on the spot', presumably in an
attempt to disturb subsurface prey. When this action is performed on a wet,
sandy surface, it tends to bring up water, which probably also brings up small
food items. The literature also ascribes foot quivering to this species, but I
have not observed such behaviour.
Gary