birding-aus

Reverse Migration in Australia?

To: Paul Rose <>, Adrian Boyle <>, "" <>
Subject: Reverse Migration in Australia?
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 22:41:31 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone,

Some interesting thoughts on this have been offered (including from Andrew and
Glen on the original thread) and it's all very theoretical (obviously) but I
make the following comments on the way I understand it.

Touching on a point that Glen made, maybe I should have placed the word
"Accidental" or "Unintentional" in front of "Reverse Migration" in the initial
context as this is what I think may have occurred. Although there is genetic
wiring that could go wrong, maybe sometimes these birds make bad decisions, eg
to follow a weather movement or to travel with other birds going the 'wrong
way'(i.e. wrong for it - but what would be going south now anyway?).

Adrian treats it as something that a bird is born with and refers to "if it's
got reverse migration" and "had a problem with reverse migration" but I am more
thinking of something else going haywire and it simply going the wrong way from
it's wintering grounds - and I am likening it to some of the ideas surrounding
the Grey-headed Lapwing (see
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2006-07/msg00061.html for
example).

The Christmas Island bird was almost the exact time of year (17th May 2009),
though who knows how many Forest Wags have arrived there and not been seen.

The suggestion of breeding at or near Doi Inthanon is interesting too!

same site year after year (recent example, the Lesser Yellowlegs at
Jerseyville?).

Sorry I can't offer any answers but it's a good discussion.

Mick