birding-aus

Black-tailed Native-hens in Clarence Valley, north coast NSW

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Black-tailed Native-hens in Clarence Valley, north coast NSW
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 19:21:42 +1000
My wife Val and I accompanied Warren Thompson on a drive to Swan Creek,
north-east of Grafton, this afternoon, to check on a potentially injured
Black-necked Stork.  A couple of days ago Warren had observed the stork, an
adult male, lying under powerlines and at first thought that the bird was dead.
 It was seen to move its bill so Warren left to get assistance.  On returning
he found that the stork had recovered somewhat being able to stand and
eventually walk, if with some difficulty.  The wings and legs were not
obviously broken so Warren left the area after watching the bird for some time.
 Today’s sortie was to check whether the bird had recovered.  It is the
resident male at a nearby nest which has, reportedly, three nestlings in it at
present.  As we arrived at Swan Creek I noticed four Black-tailed Native–hens
foraging in a paddock at the intersection of Four Mile Lane and Lake Road,
north of the main Swan Creek.  This was our first record of this species in the
Valley but I am aware of at least two other records, of single birds.  Eight
Plumed Whistling-Ducks were swimming in a small creek nearby and at a wetland
further north 100+ Pink-eared Ducks were present.  An immature Yellow-billed
Spoonbill was foraging nearby.  After driving past the storks’ nest and not
seeing any storks in the vicinity we eventually sighted the adult male stork
foraging in a wetland to the north of Finlaysons Road.  It showed no signs of
injury.  Collision with powerlines was found to be the greatest known cause of
injury and death in Black-necked Storks during my PhD studies.    A Brown
Goshawk took off from the roadside further to the east near to where a
Comb-crested Jacana was foraging.  The resident pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles was
perched in the apex of a tall eucalypt.   All in all a successful short trip to
some local wetlands.

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide