birding-aus

Albany Pelagic Trip Report - Sat 4th May 2013

To: "" <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Albany Pelagic Trip Report - Sat 4th May 2013
From: John Graff <>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 08:53:14 +0800
Hi all, Below is the text of the trip report for the Saturday Albany Pelagic. A
version with accompanying photos can be seen at
http://wabirdingblog.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/albany-pelagic-trip-report-4-may-2013.html
 An excellent trip, highlighted by 3 South Polar Skuas, a breeding-plumaged
Arctic Tern, and a Long-tailed Jaeger (1st for WA pelagics). Cheers,John
Participants: Alan Collins (Organiser), John Graff (Organiser), Sue Abbotts,
Xenia Dennett, Stewart Ford, Peter Huggins, Darryl Jones, John Lillywhite, Dan
Mantle, Michael Morcombe, Simon Nevill, Glen Pacey, Jon Pridham, Ray Turnbull,
John Weigel Conditions: Seas were forecast to 1m, with swell 1.5-2.5m, and
light SE’ly winds. Conditions were reasonably close to the forecast though it
was a little rougher in the morning, even within King George Sound, flattening
through the day. Report
This was an excellent trip - 11 tubenose species were seen, but it was the
skuas and terns that provided the major highlights with three South Polar
Skuas, a breeding plumaged Arctic Tern, and at least one Long-tailed Jaeger
seen.  We left Emu Point a little after 0700 and were surprised to immediately
pick up our first true seabird – a Flesh-footed Shearwater flying around the
boat harbour. As we crossed King George Sound we picked many more Flesh-footed
Shearwaters, along with the usual Australasian Gannets. A few people also saw a
single Brown Skua. We passed through the heads, but the first albatross took a
while to appear, the first being a Shy Albatross seen briefly in the wake,
heading east. This was followed by the first Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross, and
several adult Black-browed Albatross began following the boat, while
Flesh-footed Shearwaters were ever present. As we approached the shelf, the
first Wilson’s & White-faced Storm-Petrels were also seen.  We stopped the boat
in about 600m of water at the continental shelf edge and started to chum. We
were immediately joined by several adult Black-browed Albatross and the usual
Flesh-footed Shearwaters. Wilson’s Storm-Petrel started gathering to feed in
the slick, and the first confirmed Great-winged Petrel made a pass. The odd
White-faced Storm-Petrel could be seen with the Wilson’s in the slick, and an
immature Shy Albatross made an appearance. The first excitement came when a
skua flew over the boat. It hung around for a while, but stayed frustratingly
away from the boat. Nonetheless, the general opinion was that it was a South
Polar Skua, which has since been confirmed from photos. The skipper alerted us
that we had drifted into shallower water, so we moved deeper again, stopping
the boat when another skua made an appearance. This bird was darker than the
first, but still another South Polar Skua. Unfortunately it did not hang
around. The number of Black-browed Albatross around the boat grew to 7, mostly
adults, while the odd Shy Albatross was also seen along with the usual Indian
Yellow-nosed Albatrosses. One of the Shy Albatross was an adult with enough
yellow in the bill to confirm it was a Tasmanian bird. Then the shout went out
for a Wandering Albatross, which came in from the port side and crossed the bow
but did not hang around. Identification of this complex is always tricky but
the general consensus was that Gibson’s Albatross was the most likely
candidate. A Northern Giant-Petrel also made a pass but did not stay, and the
first Soft-plumaged Petrel was also seen.  We repositioned for a final time,
heading out to 800m of water. The birds here were similar until a tern was
called off the stern. Fortunately, it made several close passes over the boat,
allowing identification as an Arctic Tern in full breeding plumage. Another
South Polar Skua (the palest individual yet) also made a few circuits, and a
jaeger flew in from the port side. After some debate, the consensus was that it
was a Long-tailed Jaeger, a first for WA pelagic trips. Presumable the same
bird reappeared on the ocean not long afterwards. Then an intermediate morph
Soft-plumaged Petrel appeared in the slick. Black-browed Albatross remained
around the boat, but were joined by an adult Campbell Albatross to round out a
successful trip. The return trip was relatively smooth and uneventful, the only
sightings of note were more Black-browed Albatross just outside the heads, and
a Brown Skua in the same area. We docked at approximately 1630. As always, many
thanks to all the participants, and to Tony and Fred from Spinners Charters.
Species List [Total Count (Maximum no. seen at one time)]
Wandering Albatross [prob. Gibson's] 1 (1)
Indian Yellow-nosed Albatross 20 (8)
Black-browed Albatross 14 (7)
Campbell Albatross 1 (1)
Shy Albatross 4 (1)
Northern Giant-Petrel 1 (1)
Great-winged Petrel 12 (6)
Soft-plumaged Petrel 2 (1) - 1 intermediate morph
Flesh-footed Shearwater 500 (100)
Wilson's Storm-Petrel 120 (25)
White-faced Storm-Petrel 12 (1)
Brown Skua 2 (1)