birding-aus

Eungella Honeyeater under threat

Subject: Eungella Honeyeater under threat
From: Joshua Bergmark <>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 12:32:48 +1000
I was just alerted to this concerning problem on Feathers&Photos by Dale
Mengel who lives in Proserpine. Message as follows:

"The Eungella Honeyeater (*Lichenostomus hindwoodi*) is endemic to the
Clarke Ranges incorporating Crediton State Forest and Eungella National
Park - NE of the city of Mackay in QLD. It cannot be found anywhere else in
Australia and is currently listed as being "near-threatened.

Crediton State Forest now has a selective logging permit which could see
large parts of the honeyeater's habitat destroyed for logging purposes.
There are calls from Birdlife Mackay and other Flora and Fauna groups to
contact the relevant Queensland Ministers and ask that the Crediton State
Forest be properly protected, preferably by incorporating it into Eungella
National Park.

Ministers can be emailed online at
http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/ministers.aspx - the correct ministers would
be *Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry - John McVeigh MP,
Minister for Environment and Heritage Protection - Andrew Powell MP
*and *Minister
for Natural Resources and Mines - Andrew Cripps MP *as they probably all
have involvement one way or another."

Needless to say, I've sent my email to them!

Cheers,
Joshua Bergmark