birding-aus

Black-shouldered Kite tail-wagging

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Black-shouldered Kite tail-wagging
From: Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge <>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 12:25:00 +1000
Hi Folks,
Last week we observed a Black-shouldered Kite performing tail-wagging which neither us or our two guests had observed before. After asking all the local Bird Guides none of them had seen it either. Whilst it is not uncommon behaviour a quick check of the internet had various answers for this behaviour, mating ritual, after alighting on a perch, territorial display in response to invaders. This last answer was in HANZAB and was what we saw. The kite was sitting on top of a dead branch when three Blue-faced Honeyeater landed below it, after a few seconds the kite started tail-wagging cocking its tail up and down and the honeyeaters flew off apart from one who returned. The guest we were with took some excellent images of this behaviour which we have put onto our blog this week. Seeing this sort of behaviour for the first time is what makes birding so interesting.

Cheers,
Keith & Lindsay.

--
    Keith & Lindsay Fisher
    Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge

Winner: Wet Tropics 2010 Cassowary Award for Nature Based Tourism