birding-aus

Adelaide environs + SA RFI

To: "Ian Reid" <>, <>
Subject: Adelaide environs + SA RFI
From: "Dave & Sue" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:25:00 +0930
Hi Ian,

saw your post and thought I could help with some of your enquiries. Spotted Quailthrush is definitely extinct in SA and probably has been since around the turn of the century. The last record I know of was in 1999. The closest population to Adelaide if you want to see them is just across the Victorian border in Glenelg River National Park, particularly the Kentbruck Heath section. There is an isolated population there but can be hard to find.

Chestnut-rumped Heathwrens are still very much apart of the hills face environment. You can find them around Stoneyfell and up Black Hill Conservation Park. Now is not a good time of year though as they are rarely calling. You could try around the nursery area in Black Hill.

Fuscous Honeyeaters are a rare (probably) winter visitor and despite the erratic nature of historical records the bias is more towards winter. Most of these historical records especially about the Adelaide Hills and points north are more than likely misidentified immature Grey-fronted or Yellow-plumed Honeyeaters as they show a yellow "gape mark" Certainly those that I've followed up on have proven to be so. The only place I have seen them in SA has been at Bordertown in winter and most other reliable records are from the upper south-east in autumn winter.

Plains Wanderers are certainly still found in SA and there are records most years. Boolcoomatta Station on the Broken Hill Rd is the best spot but there is no access to the public. Other than that spotlighting up and down the Birdsville track in the far north is your best bet but you might as well look for a needle in a haystack. If you really want to see them just do what almost everyone else has done and make the pilgrimage to Deniliquin. Hope that helps you?

Cheers
David Harper