birding-aus

Amsterdam or Antipodean albatrosses in 1999?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Amsterdam or Antipodean albatrosses in 1999?
From: David James <>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 19:03:29 -0700 (PDT)
Back in spring 1999 there were 3 pelagics from Wollongong and Sydney, each of
which recorded a possible Amsterdam Albatross. Subsequently, doubt was
expressed that they may have been Antipodean albatrosses in immature plumage
with dark cutting edges to the upper mandible. In the end it was never fully
resolved. I've decided to look into it again, a birding cold-case I suppose.
Does anyone have photos of any of the the three birds that they would be
willing to (scan and) send to me?
To help jog the memory the dates of the sightings were:

1. Wollongong, 26 September 1999
2. Sydney, 9 October 1999
3. Wollongong???, 16 October 1999

For those interested you can easily find the announcements and discussion at
the time by typing "amsterdam" into the Birding-Aus archives page (thanks B-A
team).

Cheers,
David James
Sydney