birding-aus

Regarding sighting of Aus Bittern at Pitt Town Lagoon today

To: <>
Subject: Regarding sighting of Aus Bittern at Pitt Town Lagoon today
From: "John Weigel" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 17:27:20 +1000
All I will add to David's post is a thank you to Tom Wilson and the several
others who gave me advice last night re Pitt Town Lagoon, as well as the
many additional Birding-Aus pundits who have tried their damnedest over the
past sixteen months to help me find an Australasian Bittern - despite
myself.

Oh, and one other thing, which was possibly best expressed by Jackie Gleason
"How swweeeet it is!"

John W

from [
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bfr
om%3Adavidstowe%40optusnet.com.au&idxname=birding-aus&sort=date%3Alate>
David Stowe]

[Permanent
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=birding-aus
&i=2FF7B273-E52E-4CDB-BDB1-EA83D3BDBD74%40optusnet.com.au>  Link][Original
<http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/cgi-bin/extract-mesg.cgi?a=bir
ding-aus&m=2013-04&i=2FF7B273-E52E-4CDB-BDB1-EA83D3BDBD74%40optusnet.com.au>
]

" " < >

Regarding sighting of Aus Bittern at Pitt Town Lagoon today

David Stowe < >

Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:21:04 +1000

Hi all,
Well I'm happy to report that John's (and my) bogey is no more!
We got to Pitt Town Lagoon around 8am to find the lagoon shrouded in mist.
On
arriving at the mound we found Peter Madvig and Carol & Peter Abbot already
scoping the joint - literally!
They hadn't seen any sign of the bittern although all the other reported
birds
were around including the Freckled Ducks.
John and I decided we would try to get through the reeds on the western side
of
the mound but gave up after about 2 metres as it was way too thick.
So we decided to investigate the foreshore reeds. John had waders so he went

alot further than i did in my gumboots. But no luck. After regrouping back
at
the mound and leaving our cameras behind (a sure sign something was going to

happen) we decided to walk around the waters edge to the east of the mound.
Once again John went ahead in his waders but soon shouted "Bittern!!
Bittern!!"
Sure enough a large bird flew from the reeds some distance away and out to
the
treeless island in the lagoon. We had great views for what felt like 10
seconds
before it dropped out of sight.
We had finally seen an Australasian Bittern!!

Cheers
David Stowe

On 17/04/2013, at 4:57 PM, John Weigel <> wrote:

> Tomorrow morning I'm hoping to visit location where Tom Wilson saw a
brazen
> Australian Bittern multiple times this morning and has reported on
Birdline

=======
http://www.pctools.com/
=======