birding-aus

Mundane & useless threads - solutions.

To: Robert Inglis <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Mundane & useless threads - solutions.
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 13:59:58 +1000
G'day all

I had nothing to contribute to the Night Parrot discussion but was keenly
following it.  Several comments were made about common name capitalisation
under the original thread title. I couldn't resist adding to this as it is
a bugbear with me in my job as a writer of scientific papers.  As a BA
member since 1996 I was careful to change the thread title.

People could choose to follow this thread or not.  If they don't like any
of my posts they can filter me out.  That's what I typically do with
threads related to cats, dogs, duck shooting, leg flags, canon netting etc.

I have never abused anyone on BA and I have never got stuck into an obvious
beginner.  Most of my interaction with other BA members is taken off-line
unless I think others might be interested.

The thread on capitalisation has obviously upset some and they have made
the leap to pedantry and then to bullying. Pedantry maybe but certainly not
bullying.  Bullying should be called out at the time.  I don't think any of
the follow-up posts on my capitalisation thread could be construed as
bullying.

The title of this thread says it all.  Who is arrogant enough to decide
what is mundane or useless for all of us?

Cheers
Steve 'whatshisname" Clark
Hamilton, Victoria