birding-aus

Nankeen Night Herons - Heidelberg, Vic

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Nankeen Night Herons - Heidelberg, Vic
From: David Clark <>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:29:07 +1000
My 96 year old mother lives in an aged care hostel next to the repatriation
hospital in Heidelberg.

She told me that she and another resident watched two herons foraging in the
rank grass of the old hospital grounds last week.  She thought they were
Nankeen Hight Herons and described them in some detail.

I showed her the illustrations on my iPhone app and she confirmed her
identification.

I thought the location was a little unusual for that species but I was more
than impressed with my mother's ability to observe and identify birds.

Cheers

David

Sent from my iPhone