birding-aus

Grey Grasswren - Bulloo Overflow

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Grey Grasswren - Bulloo Overflow
From: Steve <>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 12:57:41 +1000
G'day all

Rob Drummond and I are just back from a failed attempt to find Grey Grasswrens
in the Bulloo Overflow country of nw NSW.

We rang Mrs Betts and asked for permission to enter her Qld property across the
Wompah Gate.  Permission was not granted.  We were told by the Post Mistress in
Tibooburra that Mr. Betts had been harangued by birders some years ago for what
they regarded as undesirable grazing management of his lignum areas.

Next we rang Bill O'Connor who owns the land south of the Adelaide Gate in NSW.
 He was perfectly happy for us to go in - so we did.  Unfortunately we tried on
several occasions and in several locations but failed to hear a squeak from the
Grasswrens.  The lignum looks to be in fine condition but there is no water in
the swamps.  Lots of evidence of pigs but otherwise we didn't note any
management issues.  Flies were appalling!

On a brighter note we did manage to find Eyrean Grasswren west of Cameron's
corner on the first dune with decent canegrass.

Cheers
Steve