birding-aus

Raptors along Hume highway

To: <>
Subject: Raptors along Hume highway
From: "Geoff Leslie" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 08:45:02 +1100
I have also noticed a few Black Kites around the Yea area where I have just
moved which surprised me. They have got more frequent in the South of
Victoria over recent years.
Years ago I moved to Barham and they were a new bird for me. I had a
wonderful old birding mentor named Peter Disher whom many of you would have
probably known. I had just moved to town and took a  trip to the local
rubbish tip where a large flock of Black Kites was circling. I saw Peter
Disher in the newsagent next day and he said, Have you seen the Fork-tails
out at the Barham tip?  I said, Yeah, wow, I reckon there were a hundred!
He seemed surprised and said, Really? I only counted 93!
At that point I realised that real birders take numbers seriously!

Geoff Leslie

Message: 15