birding-aus

Regent Honeyeaters at Chiltern NP

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Regent Honeyeaters at Chiltern NP
From: Dean Ingwersen <>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 23:46:29 +0000
Hi Brendan (and all),

Firstly, the ironbark has budded up really well in Chiltern this year and some
has started to flower already.  As a result there are decent numbers of Noisy
and Little Friarbirds in the park already, along with a good mix of smaller
nectarivores (e.g. Black-chinned and Fuscous Honeyeaters), and at this stage
I'll be surprised if Regent Honeyeaters don't turn up in the park in the next
few months.

In terms of recent years Eremaea is pretty much spot on - Greenhill Dam and
surrounds has been a real drawcard for the species.  Hanging around the dam
late in the day can turn up Regents dipping in the dam if they are around, but
searching that broad area is also worthwhile.  White Box walk was good last
year and has been in other years too, and interestingly there appears to be
patches of White Box that will flower again this year (interesting in that
White Box in the park flowered for about 10 months straight last year!).  Close
to here, a pair bred successfully late last year near the junction of All
Nations Rd and the road to Honeyeater Picnic area.  Late in 2012 there was also
a report of a single Regent at Lappin's Dam in the north-west of the park from
an excellent observer - Lappin's Dam is to the north of Donchi Hill Rd, on
Lappin's Track.  The Parks Victoria map online shows most of these roads
marked.  Other areas to check include the broad junction of Klotz and Lang's
Track (an area used lots historically, but less so recently), and the dams on
the eastern side of Bartley's Block.  But they really can turn up anywhere
within the park so keeping eyes and ears peeled while you drive around will
help!  If you happen to track one down we'd love to know as soon as possible -
many are colour banded and the more data we can collect the better.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Cheers, Dean

Dean Ingwersen | Woodland birds for Biodiversity
Regent Honeyeater recovery coordinator

BirdLife Australia
Suite 2-05, 60 Leicester Street, Carlton VIC 3053
M 0409 348 553 | T 03 9347 0757 ext 247 | F 03 9347 9323
<> |
birdlife.org.au<http://birdlife.org.au>
ABN 75 149 124 774

[BirdLife Australia logo]

Hi all

I will be down in Albury for a short trip in mid April. I am hoping to get out

to Chiltern NP to look for Regent Honeyeaters. I see from Eremaea that the most

common spots to see them are at Greenhill Dam and the Whitebox walking track. I

understand that tracking down this species will be difficult especially

considering their transient nature. I was hoping anyone would be able provide

some useful tips toward locating the species as well as navigating the area as

I have never been there before.

I will have sometime to drive around looking for flowering Iron Barks but

unfortunately not enough time to stick around for the captive release which I

hear is planned for later that same week.

Thanks

Brendan Cook

Sent from my iPhone