birding-aus

NODDY in Port Melbourne NOW

To: "'Mike Carter'" <>, <>, "'Birdline Vic'" <>, "'Tim Dolby'" <>, "'Martin O'Brien'" <>, "'Andrew Silcocks'" <>, "'Sean Dooley'" <>
Subject: NODDY in Port Melbourne NOW
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:00:37 +1100
Hi Mike and others,

Ruth and I spent several hours yesterday afternoon and evening near Station
Pier (and the Queen Mary 2) looking for the noddy. There were hundreds of
sightseers looking at the ship but, surprisingly, no other birdwatchers that
we could see.  We were present from around 6pm until well after dark.

Plenty of Silver Gulls and Pacific Gulls, several Crested Terns, Little Pied
and Little Black Cormorants, plenty of ratty-looking Rock Doves, but
unfortunately no noddies. Around 7:00pm there were several Fork-tailed
Swifts very high above the ship and pier - no more than four or five birds
though - so it would appear that we were on the edge of the main Fork-tailed
Swift event of yesterday.

I don't think we'll make it to the pier this afternoon, but we may try on
Saturday.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria