birding-aus

Pics of Cervantes Franklin's Gull

To: Birding-Aus <>, "" <>
Subject: Pics of Cervantes Franklin's Gull
From: Martin Cake <>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 17:36:45 +0800
Hi all,

For anyone interested in such things, some pics of the Franklin's Gull
currently settled in Cervantes are now up on our blog:

http://wabirdingblog.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/franklins-gull-at-cervantes.html#more

It seems to be a 2nd winter bird moulting heavily in 2nd summer, though
it's hard to rule out an adult given the scruffy state of the bird.

Assuming I have counted right, the subterminal black tips on this bird seem
to extend only to p7, which seems atypical for Franklin's as they should
extend to p6 or p5. But not sure of the significance of this as the amount
of black seems to vary a lot in the species.  Any thoughts welcomed.

The bird was still there yesterday, seen by several people, and its rather
untidy state suggests its not about to begin a long trip any time soon.

Martin Cake, et al.

Perth WA