birding-aus

Brush Turkeys Turramurra

To: <>
Subject: Brush Turkeys Turramurra
From: "Jill & Sue" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:44:47 +1100
We had 3 juvenile Brush Turkeys in our Turramurra garden area (apartments and
town houses a hectare or more of gardens) located between The Chase & Tennyson
Rds.  We first observed them in early December and saw them virtually daily
until first week of February.  Prior to that  over the last few years we've had
the occasional adult (or two) wandering around in the garden.  On walks in the
Turramurra / Wahroonga / North Wahroonga / Waitara area (streets not fire
trails) we've seen adult birds in several locations throughout 2012 (and
previous years) but once again none since early February.   Only exception has
been a single juvenile and an adult behind Kissing-Point Rd shops last week.
We had almost decided that they're more common in suburban streets than in the
local bushland but wonder where they've all gone at present.  One possible idea
is that they've followed the creeks down into the valleys in the hotter
weather.  The only supporting evidence we have for this is a r
 oad-killed juvenile in Tennyson Rd near the creek bridge.

Jill Rossiter