birding-aus

Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Australian Capital Territory Weekly Update
Date: 4 Mar 2013 01:31:08 +1000

Birdline Australian Capital Territory

Published sightings for the week ending 3 Mar 2013.

Sun 3 Mar Australian Shelduck Dairy Road, Fyshwick
A juvenile female Australian Shelduck was observed this morning in the vicinity of Kellys Swamp and Fyshwick Sewage Ponds.
Alastair Smith

Red-chested Buttonquail Mulligans Flat Nature Reserve, Gungahlin
Red-chested Buttonquail (2) Two birds flushed initially from chest-high grass tussocks near Bird Marker 5. Both birds had dark coloured wings, one bird seen from side-on appeared to have orange/apricot coloured belly & lower flanks & pale coloured upper flanks, leading to pale underwings. One of the birds flushed a second time from nearby, with both of us getting good views of the bird showing very obvious orange underparts & fairly uniformly dark wings.
Brendan Sheean & Scott Ryan

Mon 25 Feb Satin Bowerbird Corroborree Park, Ainslie
A comment re McComas Taylor posting of 19 Feb ( #166841) " Satin BowerbirdCorroborree Park Ainslie- "A green bird observed at the corner Corroborree Park and Grimes St Ainslie. My first in area for many years." Between 1991-2011 I never saw a Satin Bowerbird near Corroboree Park. On 4/5/2011 a green SBB briefly visited our garden (100 m from the park) in Toms Crescent. A year later in mid April 2012, there was a very active bower attended by an adult blue male and numerous green birds at the SE edge of Corroborree Park (corner of Paterson st and Corroborree Park st-Leslie St- 20 or so metres south of the Community Hall)- 4 m into the park from the footpath) . (Sighting reported to Eremaea on 15 April 2012). During June-August 2012 after the bower had been torn apart it appeared to have been abandoned. In mid Sept it was active again, and birds have been visible/audible there almost every day since. I have looked elsewhere in the park for another bower but not seen one.
Robin Hide

Birdline Australian Capital Territory is hosted by Eremaea Birds.