birding-aus

Malleefowl still showing in big numbers at Ouyen

Subject: Malleefowl still showing in big numbers at Ouyen
From: Patrick Scully <>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 14:00:12 +1100
Hello fellow birders,
I made a quick trip up to Ouyen on Thursday night hoping I might get lucky
and see Malleefowl in numbers as  reported on Birdline.  On Friday morning
I managed to see 31 on the Ouyen-Patchewalloack Rd.
It was a huge buzz. If anyone would like more details just send me an email.

I then headed to Pink Lakes but dipped on finding Striated Grasswren but
did get lucky with seeing my first Weebill, a bogy bird for me.  I know
it's a common bird and mostly seen by everyone but me.

I then headed into Hattah which has a great vibe and dipped on Striated
Grasswren there too but I did come across a Malleefowl in the bush just off
Nowingi Track which was just great and it appeared not too bothered by me
so I managed a prolonged and close view.

I headed home and stopped at the lookout at lake Tyrrell and got onto 3
Rufous Fieldwrens.  I didn't get  long views but they were good enough.

Thanks to all for your tips,
Happy birding,
Patrick Scully