birding-aus

Masked & Barn Owl identification

To: <>
Subject: Masked & Barn Owl identification
From: "Simon Clayton" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:33:39 +1100
Hi David,

It took me a while to confirm our resident Tytos were Masked.

I've seen many Barn Owls here & in UK. I've only seen one locally, handled a
stunned bird from the Highway here, it is the only Barn Owl casualty I've
found in 10 years, with several roadkill Masked Owls, allowing easy
inspection. As you suggested, it is my experience with Barn Owls that helped
me identify these birds, they are obviously larger, occupying more forested
habitat than the open country preferred by Barn Owls.

I've confirmed Masked with close spotlight views several times, one of which
had a Bandicoot in its talons, allowing good size judgment. The size and
contents of pellets helped too.

I've often seen Barn in twilight, even daylight, but never Masked.

Barn Owls appear to me to have a slower, almost "floating" flight attitude
when hunting, slower than Masked and distinctly "Butterfly-like". Masked
Owls seem more powerful and direct in flight, like comparing the powerful
flight of a Peregrine to a Kestrel. The Barns I've seen are paler, like a
giant ghostly moth, particularly in car headlights, and less "chunky". In
crude terms, Barns look "cute" compared to Masked, which appear "brutal",
like a Barn Owl on steroids.

The proportions of the birds seem to differ too, if views allow, like
comparing Brown Gos with Col Sparrowhawk, not easy.

If you can find any pellets they may indicate size and prey species, which
would indicate the likely candidate.

The difference in call has become more obvious to me with experience too.
Masked Owls are harsher & louder.

They're not easy and require decent views, although I find them quite
distinctly different now I've had more experience, hope you get a
conclusion.

Simon Clayton

Manager

Birdrangers, Gibraltar Reserve