birding-aus

birding in Flinders Ranges

To: Christine Melrose <>
Subject: birding in Flinders Ranges
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 20:21:16 +1030
Hi Christine

Tons of interesting places to go and of course the must see bird is the
short tailed grasswren at stokes hill lookout and if you are that close go
on to the chestnut breasted whiteface site out from lyndhurst.  both of
these spots can be difficult birding in that the birds may not be
accommodating or take a bit of time to see-then again you can be lucky.  At
the chestnut breasted whiteface site there are tons of other good
birds-cinnamon quail thrush and thick billed grasswren for example.  If you
or your husband are interested in rock art there are a number of sites in
the flinders of very good rock art, that are publicly accessible.
 Yourumbulla caves near Hawker, sign posted  on  main road, Arkaroo rock
between Hawker and Wilpena  Pound also signposted from the road and
engravings at Chambers gorge.  If you intend to go to chambers gorge if you
can get hold of a book by Graham(not sure of spelling) Medlin if will
enhance your trip no end.

A good place to stay is Iga Warta and Aboriginal tourist camp between
Nepabunna and Copley and they will be able to interpret the local
environment from Aboriginal perspective and also provide access to the best
paintings in my view in the Flinders, as well as introduce you to cultural
stories and practices of the Adnaymathana people.

John Bransbury in his book on where to find birds in Australia described
the status of birds in the flinders as "depauperate" and by this I think he
meant that the Flinders didn't have the diversity of birds that one would
expect.  certainly birds wont' be jumping out at you but there are lots of
good birds there.  check the archives and any where to find birds guides
you may have access to.  For example I live at Wilmington and we have many
interesting birds here locally, but some of them may take a bit of finding.
 Birds such as diamond firetail, chirruping wedgebill, redthroat, chestnut
rumped heathwren, elegant parrot, Apostlebirds and so on.  Because we have
the ranges and the plains we have a mixture of dryland type birds and birds
of wetter areas.  The Flinders and  within 40 kms of Wilmington we also
have yellow footed rock wallaby a particularly beautiful rock wallaby.

So, there is lots to see and do.
Email me if you want any more info.

Gary