birding-aus

It really is great conditions for birding

Subject: It really is great conditions for birding
From: Wes Tolhurst <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 20:16:43 +1000
Who'd have thought... I've learned a thing or two.
While taking my shade sale down at my house before it got ripped to shreds in
the gales, I saw a common noddy fly over.  Stayed there long enough for me to
race inside and get my bins.  While there 3 sooty terns joined it.  What's
remarkable to me is that I live in the Observatory up at Reedy Creek on the
Gold Coast.  Google earth tells me that as the crow flies I'm 6.5km from the
nearest piece of ocean at Burleigh.  In 8 years of living here I've never seen
a tern of any sort let alone a noddy!
So then we wandered down to Coolangatta and Point Danger with my two boys for a
look and bumped into Rob Morris.  He's a great guy and pointed out a few birds.

So we saw plenty of common noddies, black noddies, sooty terns, bridled terns,
a few brown boobies, a red-footed booby and a frigate bird (which I reckon was
a lesser but can't be 100%).
A great day to be drenched for sure.