birding-aus

Quick trip to South Australia

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Quick trip to South Australia
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 18:13:49 +1100
Ending up having a week in SA with very mixed weather (14 degrees as we drov
through the Barossa, 42 on the beach at Victor Harbor and then about 22 and
windy after the front went through). Didn't get much chance to bird-watch, with
the following being (for me at least the best sightings) -
Adelaide - stayed near South Terrace and mainly did kid things (zoo, Museum,
etc.) so didn't see much. One call kept annoying me - a high pitched
wee-wee-wee-wee-wee that regularly came from street trees, but could never lay
my eyes on. Maybe Striated Pardalote (which was about) but not a call I
recognise from them. An excuse to head back again.
Around Victor Harbor - Goolwa
1 Freckled Duck amongst a good mix of birds (including Shoveler) in the
artificial(?) wetlands near the Chiton Rocks Retirement Village (Beyond
Estate?) on the Port Elliot Road
Finally found the water at Tokuremoar Reserve, and didn't see the Freckled
Ducks there, but did get 3 Wood Sandpipers (a bird I don't see too often) and
at least 5 Australian Crakes
1 Latham's Snipe at the Bird Hide in Goolwa (I was short on time to check for
more as I had left the kids with my wife).
A good mix of waterbirds around the Goolwa Barrage (though missed the Marsh
Sandpiper).
A good mix of birds at the Murray Mouth including a few Curlew Sandpipers and 1
Grey Plover, plus 3 Elegant Parrots (every time I go to SA I am reminded ho
hard Neophemas are - they just don't let you get good views) and a covey of
Stubble Quail. No Fairy Terns, but did get all five cormorants. A few Cape
Barren Geese on Hindmarsh Island.
Went for an afternoon walk in Mt Billy Conservation Park - good numbers for a
windy afternoon with nothing spectacular (Brush Bronzewing, YT Black Cocky and
3 lorikeets always nice). Definitely worth a visit in the morning to look for
Chestnut0-ruped Heathwren (one of my targeted subspecies).
Car problems meant a morning walk at Newstead Head was cancelled, but it was
cold and windy by then anyway.
Cheers,
Peter