birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 00:05:05 +1030
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, January 14, 2013 to Sunday, January 20, 2013:

Area: SA

Date: Saturday, January 12, 2013

Location: Hardwicke Bay to Point Turton

Red-capped Plover (Charadrius ruficapillus) (253) 253 scattered feeding along
the edge of the bay with 134 Red-necked Stint at low tide.

Masked Lapwing (Vanellus miles) (91) Also a large number of 91 birds mostly
roosting amongst samphire at the Point Turton end of the bay.

Welcome Swallow (Hirundo neoxena) (60+) A large number of over 60 were hawking
low over the beach.

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) (1) One at Point Turton end of bay

Reported by: Kent Treloar on Monday, January 14, 2013

Date: Monday, January 14, 2013

Location: Kangaroo Island

Grey Teal (Anas gracilis) (c3300) c1000 Rush Lagoon, KI, 4 November 2012
c1000 Birchmore Lagoon, KI, 30 November 2012
300 feeding exposed algae, low tide, Nepean Bay, KI, 30 November 2012
c1000 drinking from freshwater soak, Cape Rouge Beach, Bay Of Shoals, KI, 6
January 2013

Hooded Plover (Thinornis rubricollis) (5) adult pair with 1 day old young x 3
at Seal Bay Beach, KI, 12 January 2013

Latham's Snipe (Gallinago hardwickii) (2) 2 feeding along muddy W shore of
freshwater Grassdale Lagoon, Kelly Hill CP, 6 January 2013

Little Black Cormorant (Phalacrocorax sulcirostris) (33) swam in formation,
constantly diving to drive fish into shallows, Grassdale Lagoon, Kelly Hill CP,

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta) (9) 8 adults and 1 x small nestling, Busby
Islet CP, KI, 11 November 2012 (1st confirmed breeding for KI). Four nests in
samphire, one with nestling, the other three with adults incubating.
Adult pair with almost fledged young (nestling from prev. visit), Busby Islet
CP, KI, 10 December 2012

Nankeen Night Heron (Nycticorax caledonicus) (1) adult roosting in eucalypt at
Grassdale Lagoon, Kelly Hill CP, KI, 20 December 2012

Australian Owlet-nightjar (Aegotheles cristatus) (1) calling in early evening,
dense forest, Demole River Valley, KI, 9 January 2013 (rarely reported KI)

Pacific Golden Plover (Pluvialis fulva) (3) in low samphire on shore of saline
Muston Salt Lake, KI, 3 November 2012 (Jane Renwick)

Pied Oystercatcher (Haematopus longirostris) (132) concentrated high tide
roost, Reeves Point, KI, 13 January 2013.

Pink-eared Duck (Malacorhynchus membranaceus) (c300) on brackish paperbark
Birchmore Lagoon with many other waterfowl, KI, 30 November 2012

Reported by: Chris Baxter on Monday, January 14, 2013

Date: Monday, January 14, 2013

Location: Kangaroo Island

Australian Spotted Crake (Porzana fluminea) (12+) 2 in samphire at American
River foreshore, KI, 4 November 2012 (Jane Renwick)
10+ in dense samphire (venturing out onto muddy channels to feed at low tide),
Busby Islet CP (Prohibited Area), KI, 10 December 2012.

Banded Stilt (Cladorhynchus leucocephalus) (22) 22 feeding in shallows on E
shore Birchmore Lagoon, KI, 30 November 2012

Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus) (60) 50 adults and several recently
fledged immatures, Rush Lagoon, KI, 4 November 2012
6 at freshwater Grassdale Lagoons, Kelly Hill CP, KI, 6 January 2013

Blue-billed Duck (Oxyura australis) (100+) 100+ (males and females), deep water
centre of Birchmore Lagoon, KI, 30 November 2012

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) A solitary individual found on vast
mudflat, Bay of Shoals, KI, 11 November 2012

Chestnut Teal (Anas castanea) (600+) 300+ Birchmore Lagoon brackish paperbark
wetland, KI, 30 November 2012
100 feed exposed algae at low tide, Nepean Bay, KI, 30 November 2012
200 drink from freshwater soak, Cape Rouge beach (with 100s of Grey Teal), Bay
of Shoals, KI, 2 January 2013
six at freshwater Grassdale Lagoon, Kelly Hill CP, 6 January 2013

Dusky Moorhen (Gallinula tenebrosa) (2) 2 on freshwater Becky's Lagoon (earthen
reservoir), Karatta, KI, 11 October 2012

Eastern Curlew (Numenius madagascariensis) (8) 1 at roost on samphire, Busby
islet CP Prohibited Area, KI, 11 November 2012
7 roosting with many other seabirds/shorebirds on Reeves Point spit at high
tide, Kingscote, KI, 30 November 2012.

Great Egret (Casmerodius albus) (6) 2 roosting in samphire at American River
foreshore, KI, 3 October 2012
4 feeding in drying stagnant freshwater Roper's Swamp, Cygnet River, KI, 13
January 2103.

Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) (4) Adult pair wit 2 x fledged young from Graham's
Quarry nest (atop stobie pole), Bay of Shoals, KI, 10 Jan 2013

Reported by: Chris Baxter on Monday, January 14, 2013

Date: Monday, January 14, 2013

Location: Kangaroo Island

Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) (c500) c500 on brackish Birchmore Lagoon, KI, 30
November 2012
3 adult pair with 1 x small young, Grassdale Lagoon, Kelly Hill CP, KI, 6
January 2013

Great Egret (Casmerodius albus) (2) 2 at freshwater Grassdale Lagoon, Kelly
Hill CP, KI, 6 January 2013

Eastern Reef Egret (Egretta sacra) (3) 2 at Busby Islet CP, KI, 11 November 2011
1 at Cape Rouge, KI, 2 January 2013

Fairy Tern (Sterna nereis) (2) 2 roosting with shorebirds at Cape Rouge, KI, 2
October 2012

Flesh-footed Shearwater (Puffinus carneipes) (1) 1 beachwashed at Vivonne Bay,
KI, 11 January 2012

Great Cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo) (6) 2 at freshwater Grassdale Lagoons,
KHCP, KI, 6 January 2013
2 roosting on Danger Point, Seal Bay, KI, 12 January 2013
2 roosting on sandy Vivonne Bay beach, KI, 13 January 2013

Greater Sand Plover (Charadrius leschenaultii) (1) 1 feeding with red-necked
stints, mudflats at Western Cove, KI, 30 November 2012 (rare on KI-photos taken)

Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) (5) 5 roosting at Cape Rouge, KI, 2
January 2013

Great Egret (Casmerodius albus) (2) 2 feeding at freshwater Grassdale Lagoons,
Kelly Hill CP, KI, 6 January 2013

Grey Plover (Pluvialis squatarola) (57) 16 on mudflats at Busby Islet CP, KI,
9 on mudflats at Western Cove, KI, 30 November 2012
32 on Cape Rouge high tide roost, KI, 2 January 2013

Reported by: Chris Baxter on Monday, January 14, 2013

Date: Monday, January 14, 2013

Location: Kangaroo Island

Australian Hobby (Falco longipennis) (4) one at Constitution Hill, Snellings
Beach, N coast KI, 18 October 2012
one chasing welcome swallows at W Bay of Shoals, KI, 23 October 2012
A pair in sugar gum forest at Panorama Park, 20 Km due W of Kingscote, KI, 28
Dec 2012

California Quail (Callipepla californica) (2) Two standing in middle of remote
Gregor's Road, SE of Parndana, KI, 28 October 2012 (photographed-escapees?)

Banded Stilt (Cladorhynchus leucocephalus) (1500) c1000 on saline Muston Salt
Lake, near Flour Cask Bay, KI, 3 November 2012
c500 on Rush Lagoon, KI, 4 November 2012

Buff-banded Rail (Gallirallus philippensis) (5) An adult pair with 2 x small
young, American River foreshore, KI, 4 November 2012 (Jane Renwick)
one in a home garden at Penneshaw, KI, 1 December 2012 to 14 Jan 2013 (present)

Hardhead (Aythya australis) (1000+) c1000 on Rush Lagoon, KI, 4 November 2012
20+ on several farm dams slightly W of Kingscote, KI, December 2012

Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (Calidris acuminata) (49) Nine at Rush Lagoon, KI, 4
November 2012.
30 feed samphire flats, Busby Islet CP, KI, 11 November 2012
six feed mudflats, Western Cove, KI, 30 November 2012
three feed muddy shores, Birchmore Lagoon, KI, 30 November 2012
one roosting at Cape Rouge, Bay of Shoals, KI, 2 January 2013

Darter (Anhinga novaehollandiae) (1) one immature roosting on rocky breakwater
along Kingscote foreshore, KI, November-December 2012

Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia) (37) 33 feed across mudflats, Bay of
Shoals, KI, 11 November 2012
4 on mudflats, Western Cove, KI, 30 November 2012

Australasian Shoveler (Anas rhynchotis) (100+) 50 at brackish paperbark Rush
Lagoon, KI, 4 November 2012
50+ at brackish paperbark Birchmore Lagoon, KI, 30 November 2012

Australian Shelduck (Tadorna tadornoides) (1500+) 50 at Rush Lagoon, KI, 4
November 2012
500+ camped at Birchmore Lagoon, KI, 30 November 2012
2 at freshwater Grassdale Lagoon, Kelly Hill CP, 6 January 2013
1000+ camped on several farm dams alongside stubble fields,
Menzies/MacGillivray/Haines farming districts, KI, 10 January 2013

Reported by: Chris Baxter on Monday, January 14, 2013

Date: Monday, January 14, 2013

Location: Fitzroy Tce, North Adelaide

Australian Hobby (Falco longipennis) (1) I've seen this a few times before over
the last few years. It was sitting in a tree in the park lands on the southern
border of Fitzroy Tce, just north of the Adelaide Aquatic Centre.

Reported by: David Cox on Monday, January 14, 2013

Date: Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Location: Kangaroo Island

Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio) (2) standing on side of Playford Highway,
c 15 km W of Parndana, KI, 12 January 2013. There must have been a reed covered
farm dam nearby.

Red-kneed Dotterel (Erythrogonys cinctus) (5) 3 at Murrays Lagoon, Cape
Gantheaume CP, KI, 25 November 2012
2 at Birchmore Lagoon, KI, 30 November 2012

Red-necked Stint (Calidris ruficollis) (1060) 60 on mudflats at Busby Islet CP,
KI, 11 November 2012
c 300 on mudflats at Western Cove, KI, 30 November 2012
c 700 on Cape Rouge high tide roost, KI, 2 January 2013

Rock Parrot (Neophema petrophila) (39) 1 (first post-breeding arrival) at
Western Cove saltmarsh, KI, 30 November 2012
30+ (mostly immatures) feeding in samphire at Busby Islet CP (prohibited area),
KI, 10 December 2012
8 in dry grassland/coastal shrubland, Cape Rouge, KI, 2 January 2013

Royal Spoonbill (Platalea regia) (3) feeding with 13 Yellow-billed Spoonbill in
freshwater Grassdale Lagoon, Kelly Hill CP, KI, 6 January 2013

Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) (79) 8 on mud flats around Busby Islet CP,
Bay of Shoals, KI, 11 November 2012
15 feeding in seaweed piles on beach, roosting in rocks nearby, Emu Bay, Ki, 11
January 2013
56 feed in seaweed piles on beach, D'Estrees Bay, KI, 12 January 2013

Whiskered Tern (Chlidonias hybrida) (15) breeding plumaged birds at Murrays
Lagoon, Cape Gantheaume CP, KI, 25 November 2012 (Jane Renwick)

Yellow-billed Spoonbill (Platalea flavipes) (33) 13 feeding at freshwater
Graddsale Lagoon, Kelly Hill CP, KI, 6 January 2013
12 feeding and roosting in red gums at freshwater Tagell's Swamp, Cygnet River,
KI, 15 January 2013
8 feeding at freshwater Duck Lagoon, Cygnet River, KI, 15 January 2013

Glossy Black-Cockatoo (Calyptorhynchus lathami) (6) 4 roosting in sugar gum
above dam, Middle River crossing on N Coast Road, KI, 12 January 2013
2 (breeding pair) inspecting artificial nest hollow in sugar gum, Lathami CP,
KI, 12 January 2013

Shining Bronze-Cuckoo (Chrysococcyx lucidus) (1) calling frequently from
stunted coastal mallee at Vivonne Bay, KI, December 2012. As expected
Horsfield's Bronze here also-unusual for Golden-Bronze to be in this habitat on
KI, generally preferring taller vegetation formations such as sclerophyll
forest.

Reported by: Chris Baxter on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Date: Saturday, January 19, 2013

Location: Riverglades, Murray Drive, Murray Bridge.

Rainbow Bee-eater (Merops ornatus) (4) Four birds seen over the start of the
causeway from Murray Drive to the river. The birds were only present for a
short period before moving off in an easterly direction.

Reported by: Bob Snell on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Date: Sunday, January 20, 2013

Location: Freeling Wetlands

Lewin's Rail (Lewinia pectoralis) (2) First heard here a year ago but haven't
been able to sight one till today! Even managed a ID photo! As I was taking
this shot another Rail was performing it's squeak and knock call directly
behind me

Spotless Crake (Porzana tabuensis) (2) Two seen but I have been seeing two
adults and a juvenile in this spot lately so I imagine there was probably
three! The photo attached is from a few mornings ago as my shots from this
morning were all pretty average!

Australian Spotted Crake (Porzana fluminea) (4) There's always a few of these
guys running around here at this time of the year!

Reported by: Chris Steeles on Sunday, January 20, 2013

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'