birding-aus

Fwd: Ewan Maddock Dam, Sunday, Jan 20, 2012 - South-east Queensland

To: "Jill Dening" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Fwd: Ewan Maddock Dam, Sunday, Jan 20, 2012 - South-east Queensland
From: "Russ Lamb" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 17:12:59 +1000
Jill,
     Ah, what a difference 8 hours of hot sun can make!. Called-in to the very
spot you described at 3pm this arvo on way back from Caloundra. Only stayed 15
mins, just wanted to check that we had seen a Glossy Ibis as we speed over the
causway this morning. Very few waterbirds around, nothing like the numbers you
saw, I suspect most birds were sheltering under whatever cover they could find.
      Did get the Glossy Ibis (feeding very energetically), Jabiru, single
Latham's Snipe and a couple of Sharpies. No Nankeen Night Heron seen, but I
have had them here and on the other side on a number of previous occasions.
        It looks like the Black-tailed Native-hen and Australasian Shovelers
may have moved on. I paid no attention to the non-existent bush birds!
Russ Lamb, Maleny