birding-aus

Gluepot after the heat

Subject: Gluepot after the heat
From: Peter Waanders <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 13:13:57 +1030
Hi all,
Spent a day at Gluepot yesterday where it was a cool 34C, after many 40-45C
days over the last fortnight. One day recently when I was out there it was
44C which didn't make for very pleasant birding. It did attract lots of
birds to the water troughs though, and this was the case (to a lesser
extent) yesterday. A flock of Regent Parrots has taken up summer residence
in the reserve and frequents the water troughs. We found a partly-eaten
Regent Parrot near a bird hide, possibly the victim of a Brown Goshawk that
has been frequenting that particular site, with both food and water easily
available! We saw 5 Major Mitchells, their numbers also seem to be on the
increase, no doubt because of the availability of water. We also had a
Scarlet-chested Parrot, they're still around as are the 'usual' residents -
Striated Grasswren (whose numbers are way down), Red-lored Whistler and
Black-eared Miner. The vegetation is still looking dense (as far as that
goes for mallee + understorey) as a result of 2 years of high rainfall, but
it's starting to look pretty dry now after little winter/spring rain. A
decent downpour would be good some time soon!
A full list of the day's sightings can be found here:
http://www.eremaea.com/BirdlineRecentSightings.aspx?Birdline=12
And some photos I took during the day are now in my 2013 photo album on my
website (see link below).
cheers
Peter
*