birding-aus

good birding southern Eyre Peninsula SA

Subject: good birding southern Eyre Peninsula SA
From: Peter Waanders <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 20:53:51 +1030
Hi all,

Recently I spent an enjoyable few days at the southern tip of the Eyre
Peninsula, the upside-down triangle-shaped bit of land west of Adelaide.
Due to the geography it's 900 km by road or 20 mins by air to Pt Lincoln
and from there, Lincoln NP is only 10km, and a bit further afield is Coffin
Bay NP. Both contain coastal mallee-heath and spectacular coastlines, rocky
outcrops, quiet, sheltered beaches and bays. The nearest inland reserve is
Hincks Conservation Park, a massive expanse of mallee a bit over an hour's
drive north of Pt Lincoln.
Over 4 days we tallied some 120 species and  some of the highlights were:

Kellidie Bay Conservation Park
1 Osprey hovering over the water, then catching a small fish.
4 Aus Spotted Crakes heard from coastal swamp.
5 Grey Plovers and 1 Pacific Golden Plover.

Sleaford Bay Conservation Park
1 White-bellied Sea-eagle daily around Sleaford Bay.
200+ Cape Barren Geese
1 Koala

Lincoln NP
5 Brown Quail
1 Hooded Plover
all 5 sp of Cormorant
Little Eagle, Wedge-tailed Eagle
Collared Sparrowhawk, Brown Goshawk
few Fairy Terns
1 pair of Western Yellow Robin
4+ Western Whipbirds were heard and we had multiple good (but brief) views
of one of those
various Blue-breasted Fairy-wrens
Aus (Port Lincoln) Ringnecks
Horsfield's Bronze and Shining Bronze-cuckoo
Fan-tailed Cuckooo
Purple-gaped & Tawny-crowned Honeyeater
100s of Dusky Woodswallows

Hincks Conservation Park
1 Aus Hobby
2 Peregrine Falcons
Aus (Port Lincoln) Ringnecks
Pallid Cuckoo
Chestnut Quail-thrush
White-eared Honeyeater
1 pair of Western Yellow Robin
various Blue-breasted Fairy-wrens

Also a tiger snake, brown snake and a Koala.

Hope this is of use to future birders intending a visit there. I've put
some of my photos here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.452436684822041.104600.134270499971996&type=1

cheers
Peter