birding-aus

White & Grey morph Grey Goshawk cooperative hunting

To: <>
Subject: White & Grey morph Grey Goshawk cooperative hunting
From: "Simon Clayton" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 12:20:53 +1100
Hi All,

Thursday morning I saw my second White morph Grey Goshawk. Grey morph are
regular here at Gibraltar Range N. NSW, so the White got a lot of my
attention, and some badly exposed photos (it was very white in sunlight).

I don't recall seeing Grey Goshawk hunting together before, but the white
morph was with a grey morph attacking either Fairy-Wrens or Rodents drinking
from a small dam. The grey morph was discreetly perched most of the time,
and the white morph didn't seem to make an effort to hide itself. The white
bird was perching openly and several times took flight over the dam area
where the grey morph was waiting.

It appeared they were hunting cooperatively.

The grey morph was back hunting on its own in the same area this morning.
The white morph is probably applying factor 20 sunscreen in the shade
somewhere. :-) Current temperature 38C and soaring like a Needletail.

Cheers,

Simon Clayton

Manager

Birdrangers, Gibraltar Reserve