birding-aus

Why are the C. Sparrowhawk & B.Goshawk so similar?

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>, "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Why are the C. Sparrowhawk & B.Goshawk so similar?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 15:03:31 +1100
Following that: Taking the information of "In both IOC and Clements Brown
Goshawk and Collared Sparrowhawk are not each other's closest relatives" If
that is actually correct (I don't mean whether these have been quoted
correctly but whether the idea is correct). That still raises that these two
species have separately evolved into both juvenile and adult plumages of
exactly the same pattern, from something presumably different. It would make
sense that they evolve into something like the typical patterns for the
genus (because presumably that colour pattern matches the woodland hawk
lifestyle) but why go so much further than this to become almost identical?
That it has happened on the same continent would suggest there has been some
benefit in this convergence. Maybe it is mutual mimicry. Is there maybe some
territorial benefit to both species or reducing disputes between them that
the male Brown Goshawk is about the same size and appearance as the female
Collared Sparrowhawk? I have no idea how that would work.

If they are similar in appearance because they have both evolved from an
earlier double invasion of one ancestor species, that would require that
they are each other closest relatives (assuming that the ancestor species no
longer exists in that form). If so the changes that have occurred are in
size and anatomy.

About "But before considering that, the question might well be why *should*
these animals look obviously different?" Well if they are not each other's
closest relatives then their basic patterns would I assume show more
connection to their separate origins, unless there is something driving the
similarity.

As for the white morph of the Grey Goshawk that question is unrelated. Yes
the aspect of mimicry of cockatoos is a plausible advantage. Or there might
something else selected with the white gene. Or some advantage in investing
energy by not producing pigment.

As for : Does anyone know if these two hawks have sufficiently distinct
diets (say prey items of substantially different sizes) to make them pretty
much non-competitive in the same landscape? I would have thought that is
pretty obviously established.

Philip