birding-aus

Wedge Tailed Eagles, Herne Hill, Geelong, Vic

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Wedge Tailed Eagles, Herne Hill, Geelong, Vic
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:26:08 +1000
Travelling around the Geelong Ring Road ~5.45pm Wed 9th I enjoyed spectacular
views of a WTE at about head height hovering in the uplift sweeping across the
Moorabool River valley and up the freeway embankment. A few metres on was
another.
Further on, near Little River (from the Princes Highway) there was another WTE
with an entourage of about 30 ravens hassling it.

I rang my brother who lives in our family home overlooking the Moorabool valley
and he tells me Wedgies are often seen there, even in larger groups. (a rare sp
to sight when I lived there 30+ y.a.) He says they appear to also utilise
thermals from the nearby basalt quarries. These probably harbour lots of
rabbits and other tucker too.
He also regularly sees a pair near Little River exit from freeway.

OK, not a rare bird, but a spectacular sight when the bird is hovering so close
and practically at eye level.
Some small compensation from the cancerous roads and housing developments
swarming across the former 'green belts zones' of hills that used to surround
Geelong.
Wendy