birding-aus

The history of cats in Australia

To: Ian May <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: The history of cats in Australia
From: David Clark <>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 22:32:57 +1100
I remember reading that too Ian, but I believe that the introduction of
cats from SE Asia has been discounted.

One of the factors that had me doubting the hypothesis was that Aboriginal
words for cats are generally based on English words, eg *putjika*(pussycat) and
*wi:lyka* (wild cat) [probably poor examples as both words are from the
Gibson Desert].  Words for dingoes are not based on English words.

Cheers

David