birding-aus

Spotted v Yellow-rumped Pardalote

Subject: Spotted v Yellow-rumped Pardalote
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 13:47:37 +0800

An interesting post by John Leonard.

In the SW, at the Stirling Range I can see Spotted Pardalote in Wandoo / Marri / Dwarf Jarrah woodland, and "Yellow-rumped" in mallee maybe only 50 metres away. I admit that I don't look extra close at them most of the time, but when I have looked they have always stuck to their preferred habitat. I can't say that they never stray into the other habitat. I have always seen "Yellow-rumped" nesting in holes in the banks along the side of the road in the south west, while Spotted Pardalote are usually in small holes in trees, but this may be because there are usually lots of holes in the trees, and they don't need to burrow. There are usually few holes in mallee. Striated Pardalotes usually nest in hollows throughout WA, but where there appears to be not enough hollows, I have seen them nesting in burrows in the banks.