birding-aus

Werribee in 2012 and 2013

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Werribee in 2012 and 2013
From: jenny spry <>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 11:08:18 +1100
Hi all,

Being a Virgo I like things to be balanced and symmetrical. To this end I
finished 2012 with a visit to Werribee and started 2013 .... with a visit
to Werribee. As usual both days were as bird-filled as ever. The New Year's
Eve visit was to try and clean up a few birds missed earlier in 2012 and to
look for the Great Knot that had been reported. I was mostly successful but
the Spotless Crake eluded me again. This was a trifle annoying because in
2011 they were running all over my toes every time I went to WTP.

The New Year started the way I plan for the year to continue, in sunshine
with friends and lots of birds. I have read how people go to the WTP and
see over 100 species but I have never done that, until yesterday. Ninety
five is fairly easy, ninety seven we have done occasionally but not 100.
Yesterday Joy and I set out to fix that. With an early start we headed down
Point Wilson Rd and started ticking. And it wasn't all hard work as we met
and chatted with friends along the tracks. Lunch was particularly pleasant
as we sat with 2 friends and watched the resident Broad-billed Sandpiper
just inside the Beach Rd gate. The sun was out, the tide was out, waders
waded and our assorted salads, sandwiches, fruit and nuts were complimented
by a particularly pleasant faux-champagne from New Zealand.

A quick tally over lunch showed we had 87 species on our day list and we
headed for the ford. We did not find the Pectoral Sandpipers that everyone
was talking about but the numbers climbed steadily until finally we drove
out the front gate with 103 species. Not too bad an effort for the first
day of the year (smile).

Some interesting species were the Brolga and Cape Barren Geese in the
grassland down Austin Rd, a Black-tailed Godwit on Paradise Rd lagoon, 5
Freckled Ducks on the rocks in Lake Borrie near Paradise Rd, the
Broad-billed Sandpiper on the rocks inside the Beach Rd Gate, Banded
Lapwing on the grazed paddock with the dam down Beach Rd and the flock of
Golden Plover that are still on the rocks at Kirk's Point.

So I hope everyone has a wonderful 2013 and that all your wanted bogie
birds finally give themselves up to your binoculars

cheers

Jenny
http://jenniferspryausbirding.blogspot.com.au/