birding-aus

Birders, Brits and stats

To: Dominic Funnell <>, "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Birders, Brits and stats
From: Ed Williams <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 10:05:22 +0000

Hi Dom, Dave, Julian and all - and a very Happy New Year!

Yes, guilty as charged when it comes to a throw away comment...!  It was merely
one Brit in Australia to another wishing him all the best back in Britain...
(apologies to those who take my wording too literally!)

There lots and lots of birders in the UK (sorry if "lots and lots" isn't
technical!) - you can have hundreds of people at one site at one time (all
looking at one bird!), and of the 550 species in the UK how many are "regulars"
versus the 850 in Australia?

I would suspect if there were the same density of Birders in Australia as the
UK there would also be significantly more than 850 on the Aussie list.  However
I am obviously unable to prove this statement :)

Anyway as Dom say this can be a blessing out here - imagine somewhere like the
Western Treatment Plant if birding was as popular here as in the UK - there
would be queues at the gates at sunrise! (one would suspect but again I can't
prove that either!)
Cheers all,

Ed