birding-aus

New Australian wildlife series

To: "" <>
Subject: New Australian wildlife series
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 12:14:40 +1100
Hi,
I'm sorry it's been a while since I've emailed birding-aus. We've had immense
support from so many people on this list so I wanted to let you know what we've
been up to and why the silence.
For those of you who don't know me personally, I've spent a life-time in
ecological consultancy. For 15 years I have worked to establish and push
forward the notion of proper environmental protection at the professional
level. We are always going to need great consultants and it's essential that
the best people end up in the profession ... however, I came to realise that I
could spend my time better spent doing something different.
So I set up Wildiaries (and Bird-O) to realise a dream I have had all along of
connecting everyday people to nature, to inspire interest from people outside
of groups like this - people who aren't as lucky as we are and don't
necessarily know the joy and excitement that nature gives us.
Our most exciting project so far is a non-profit film series on Australian
nature. We're working with a national tourism body to create what is arguably
the most comprehensive series about Australian wildlife for decades. We're
covering everything from Saltwater Crocodiles and Giant Dragonflies to Orchids
and Humpback Whales.
http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/trips/11054-The-Glossy-Cockies-of-Mt-Barney
| http://aussiebirding.wildiaries.com/trips/11051-Mum-s-One-Tonne-Bub.  The
series will hopefully be launched in early March next year over 45 episodes -
so watch this space ; )
In the last 12 months, we've established a FREE online magazine on nature,
travel, art and culture (http://wildiaries.com) with a circulation of 70,000
people. We've set up a national travel agency to promote opportunities to see
wildlife with the best guides Australia has to offer and channel money into
conservation charity - we're working closely with Earthwatch and are now
proudly their preferred booking agent for all their trips world wide. We've
helped publish eBooks including Peter Waanders fabulous "Birdwatching Guide to
South Australia", Mike Keighley and Tom Huth (Conde Naste traveller) "Tales of
an Outback Guide" and have our first iPhone App "Whales and Dolphins of
Australia, New Zealand and the Antarctic". These may seem like insignificant
ventures but its the passion, enthusiasm and knowledge behind the creations
that inspire us to help people promote their unique perspectives on nature.
 Wildiaries is the realisation of a dream to do something of value for c
 onservation. But I can't take the credit for the beautiful creations on the
site - for that I am indebted to an incredibly talented team of staff and
associates including top writers, media, travel and marketing people. Many of
our associates are discovering an interest in nature as a result of working
with us: film editors, musicians and music producers, authors and artists.
What's most exciting about this is the potential to reach new audiences with
new creative messages.
Most importantly however, we couldn't do this without people like you. At the
grass roots level, we are working with clever, devoted and enthusiastic
naturalists who share our vision to simply tell the world about unique
wildlife. It's their insights and through their eyes that people learn to
empathise with nature's true value.
Whether it's through a video, a photo or a trip report, the stories about
nature you've given us are inspiring people with a blossoming interest in
wildlife.
Thanks again for your support. I'll try to update this list more frequently
from here on about what we're up to. If you have something particularly special
to tell us about, why not sign up and post it online or email me at
 ... we're keen to explore more around Australia and link
this to the work we're doing.
Have a nice weekend : )
Simon.

Simon Mustoe
Tel: +61 (0) 405220830 | Skype simonmustoe | Email

Visit BIRD-O at http://www.bird-o.com
Follow BIRD-O on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/birdodotcom
Like BIRD-O on Facebook? Visit
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Bird-O/117732794921095