birding-aus

Penrith environment is in trouble (again).

To: <>
Subject: Penrith environment is in trouble (again).
From: Ákos Lumnitzer <>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 07:10:42 +1100
Dear Birders

Looks like another environmental disgrace is about to hit the Penrith
Region. To think that Judas Springs or whatever it?s called (the old ADI
site) was the last stop in the destruction machine?s steps was a mere
illusion. This idea of rezoning more remaining bushland in the region that
is home to endangered plant and animal species is just the icing on the
cake. I?ve received communication from Geoff Brown, the head of Western
Sydney Conservation Alliance recently and wish to share the concerns with
like-minded, environmentally conscious folks!

Please help ratchet up the pressure on Penrith Council to reverse its
support for turning some of the best bush left in Western Sydney into
farmland. Penrith Council is finalising its Local Environmental Plan (LEP)
and Council has given the Deerubbin Local Aboriginal Land Council a massive
windfall through their LEP process. The DLALC own thousands of hectares of
Priority Conservation Lands in the Penrith LGA and these lands are targeted
by the NSW Government as potential offset lands. The success of the
Cumberland Plain Recovery Plan depends on the protection of the Priority
Conservation Lands

Penrith Council however don?t give a toss about ensuring the recovery of the
threatened species of Western Sydney and in total they plan to give allow an
RU4 2 hectare farm zoning to over 620 hectares of the Priority Conservation
Lands owned by the DLALC. The NSW Environment Office advice to Council was
to zone these lands E2 Environmental Conservation. In anyone's books such a
massive zoning windfall for a single landowner would have to be considered
seriously dodgy.

There is a story in the local Penrith Press about this matter. Please hit
the link below and also leave a comment. You could urge the Penrith
Councillors to reconsider their support for turning these conservation
jewels into farmland and that they use the upcoming LEP process to rezone
all the Priority Conservation Lands to E2 Environmental Conservation.

There is already one dumb-ass comment arguing people need to live somewhere
and Australia has one large national park.

http://penrith-press.whereilive.com.au/news/story/cranebrook-and-castlereagh
-land-to-be-subdivided-into-farms/

Also, if you haven?t already, sign and share the petition started by local
Greens MP Suzie Wright below.

http://www.communityrun.org/petitions/stop-penrith-council-s-destruction-of-
our-environment

Thank you and

Kind regards

Akos

PS. To give you an idea of what species I have personally seen out here,
check out my Eremaea lists over the years. I?ve been walking in these Crown
Land areas for over six years now and they just astonish me with the
biodiversity contained within them.

Nimmitta ? private property backing onto these lands, if you count the
bushbirds and migratory species you get some idea

http://www.eremaea.com/SiteSpeciesList.aspx?Site=22941

Castlereagh Cell ? Most bush birds are from these very areas they want to
chop into farmland. Just mostly exclude birds that associate with waterways
and swamps

http://www.eremaea.com/SiteSpeciesList.aspx?Site=2051

Akos Lumnitzer

www.amatteroflight.com