birding-aus

Malleefowl in Bronzewing FFR

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Malleefowl in Bronzewing FFR
From: "Ross Macfarlane" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:30:12 +1100
Well despite a dry winter in Ouyen, our nest monitoring shows a successful
breeding year for the malleefowl – likely the highest number of active nests
recorded at this site since monitoring began about 20 years ago. My Dad & I
monitored the western half which has about twice as many nests as the eastern
half – 71 I think. We had 17 active nests, and saw the birds at 4 of them,
including watching both birds working one nest for about 10 minutes.

At another nest, the bird had work to do and didn’t want to leave. So when we
left, we were treated to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lvG6i5Iqb4

Our monitoring records from around NW Victoria are continuing to show positive
signs of steady or increasing breeding activity since the recent wet seasons
starting back in 2009, especially in Murray-Sunset National Park where numbers
of active nests have really rebounded.

Cheers,

Ross Macfarlane

Secretary

Victorian Malleefowl Recovery Group, Inc.

:  www.malleefowlvictoria.org.au