birding-aus

Ringtail Possums under attack

Subject: Ringtail Possums under attack
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:18:42 +1100
I was just about to start making lunch when Brian called me outside - two very young Ringtail Possums were cowering on an exposed branch of our neighbour's River Oak. A pair of Common Mynahs were rasping and swearing at them and repeatedly flying at them. The Possums looked very worried. They were at about nest-leaving size, but didn't seem to know what to do. I took several photos (record only - against light and too many twigs). Eventually one possum turned round and came down a descending branch which gave access to the jasmine clump on the fence. The other stayed put, still attacked by the Mynahs and a Red Wattlebird which joined in. Two Brown Thornbills added to the racket, but stayed down in the shrubbery. At last the second possum moved down into the shrubs and they both moved together into the dense canopy of the Mulberry tree. Here they were much better hidden and the Mynahs have left them. At this age they are terribly vulnerable to cats, dogs, foxes and owls. I fear for them but they will have to look after themselves.

Anthea Fleming