birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 19 Nov 2012 01:31:35 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 18 Nov 2012.

Sun 18 Nov Glossy Ibis, Pectoral Sandpiper, Broad-billed Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Two Glossy Ibis seen in Walsh's Lagoon (first lagoon containing water over ford). Pectoral Sandpiper seen in Western Lagoons with about six Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. Broad-billed Sandpiper also seen in Western Lagoons with Curlew Sandpipers and Red-necked Stints. I am not sure whether this bird is the same one reported yesterday, but we spent some time scoping up the birds on the mud-flats to the north of the boat ramp without finding the BBS at that location. All birds made it onto our 2012 Twitchathon list!
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Eastern Koel Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
Seen and heard at 2.50pm in same spot reported yesterday. Chased off by wattlebird.
Fiona Parkin

Australian Koel Scoresby Road Bayswater Victoria
Heard calling from 7.30am sitting in a large gum tree in a residential garden.
Darren Wallace

Sat 17 Nov Pied Honeyeater Goschen Flora and Fauna Reserve
At least three female and one male seen throughout the reserve. This became our first bird for the 2012 Twitchathon!
Paul Dodd & Ruth Woodrow

Painted Honeyeater Rowsley (near Bacchus Marsh)
At least one individual observed and heard repeated calling from large Yellow Gums laden with mistletoe. Have not recorded here before and do not know of recent records in the district.
Chris Lindorff

Broad-billed Sandpiper Western Treatment Plant, Werribee
Seen feeding amongst mixed flock of Curlew Sandpipers, Red-necked Stints and Sharp-tailed Sandpipers on sandbar between rocky areas just along coast N.N.E of gate 4 off Beach Road ,at 13:00hrs edst.
Mark Bennet & David Richardson

Common Koel Royal Melbourne Botanical Gardens
The bird was located about 100 metres straight in from the main Eastern gate. It's call made it easy to find. It created a great deal of interest with many people in the gardens who stopped to look at the bird in my binoculars.
Bernie O'Keefe

Red-backed Kingfisher Lake Rd, Connewarre
Following up on Tom's record from yesterday. Found bird on power line. Observed and photographed for 30 minutes. Left area for short time and returned to find bird on TV antenna of adjacent house. Also Jeff Dagg and Barry Lingham saw bird this morning.
Craig Morley

Spotted Quail-thrush Reid's Road, Northern Brisbane Ranges N.P.
Observed at close quarters 4 Spotted Quail-thrushes at 10.00 am. Got superb photos. Several others calling from immediate area. Exact location was 200 metres east of Aeroplane Road.
Warren Palmer & Brian Hendrickson.

Fri 16 Nov Black-fronted Dotterel Westgate Park, Port Melbourne
Parent sheltering two chicks under wings - note three pairs of legs
George Fotheringham

Square-tailed Kite Dookie
Square-tailed Kite (1). First seen a couple of days ago but I wasn't completely sure with the ID. Seen more clearly today over the school being pursued by ravens and magpies. Not expected here but there has been another record 15km south at Upotipotpon also this spring.
Michael Ramsey

Grey Goshawk Great Ocean Road, near Anglesea
White Morph beside the highway stayed perched for a few moments (while I did a u-turn risking life and Prius) allowing a good look and a few photos before it flew. It was about midway between the turn to Point Addis and Forest Rd. A kilometer or two south of the Point Addis Rd. I was perhaps 70% sure I saw a White Morph Grey Goshawk about a week ago in the same area, but by the time I was able to turn around, it had gone.
R. Bruce Richardson

Red-backed Kingfisher Lake Rd. Connewarre @ the Lignum (Hospital Swamp).
One perched on power lines just south of 505 Lake Rd. I watched it feeding for about half an hour then I left, finding another, or the same bird; perched on the E-W section of Lake Rd. ( Moderators note: Only the second recent record for the Bellarine Peninsula).
Tom Fletcher

Australian Koel Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
Bird calling from near Gardens House about 1.30 pm.
Matthew Heron

Black-fronted Dotterel Doug Denyer Reserve Wetland, Epsom Park Estate, Mordialloc
Two adult Black-fronted Dotterels wading in shallow water and foraging on muddy edges.
Janice & Peter Metherell

Double-barred Finch Chiltern-Beechworth road, 10km south Chiltern
Single Double-barred Finch seen perched in an exotic shrub in the backyard. First time I've seen a double barred finch in the Chiltern area.
Joseph Birckhead

Thu 15 Nov Eastern Koel Geelong
Distinctive call of this species heard in Bellevue Ave Highton today and also heard at nearby location in same suburb on 31st Oct. Also heard in Newtown on 1st Nov and at a second location in this suburb on 2nd, 4th and 5th Nov. Records fit in with pattern of reports of this species for the Geelong region over recent springs.
Craig Morley, Peter Turner, Rosemary Turner

Wed 14 Nov Cicadabird Tamboon Inlet
Cicadabird (1) Heard by all 3 observers calling from tall eucalypts opposite Furnell's Landing as we launched the boat. Our first recording for this site.
Len and Jacquie Axen, Tony Mitchell

Wed 14 Nov Great Skua Port Phillip Bay
5 birds seen 5km off Frankston during fishing trip. Were taking burley from fishing boats and chasing Terns with food. Could these be mis-identified? Can you confirm please?
Darren Wallace

Glossy Ibis Swamp adjacent to Powlett River Road, Kilcunda
One seen feeding along east side of swamp. Little water left and plenty of birds feeding on the exposed mud. Some Sharp-tailed Sandpiper also seen.
Colin Mulvogue

Great Crested Grebe, Ruddy Turnstone, Little Tern Sydenham Inlet (Bemm River)
Great Crested Grebe (1) Observed by all actively feeding in the inlet close to the channel entrance leading to the mouth of Sydenham Inlet Ruddy Turnstone (1) Seen feeding on the estuary shoreline immediately to the east of the Sydenham Inlet entrance Little Tern (20) Permanent colony was beginning to be established on the ocean beach to the west of the entrance
Len and Jacquie Axen, Tony Mitchell

Australian Koel Kalimna Woods Cottages, Kalimna
Pair heard calling regularly over two days; one female briefly seen on 14 Nov.
Geoff Price, Joy McDonough

Painted Honeyeater Mortlake Golf Course
Seen while in the rough (unfortunately) on the first hole
Mick Brasher

Banded Stilt, Australian Shelduck Mortlake Reserve, Lake Milangil
Approximately 1500 Banded Stilt on the lake directly south of the road in Mortlake Reserve. Over 50% were juveniles. At least 1000 Shelduck feeding in a paddock approximately 1km NW of Lake Milangil. The most I have ever seen of this species in one location.
David Wilson

Australian Koel Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
The bird called this morning from a Moreton bay fig tree at about 10am.
Sanderson Topham

Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck, Hoary-headed Grebe Bonang-Gelantipy Road Dam, Wulgulmerang
Freckled Duck (5) No red on bill showing Pink-eared Duck Hoary-headed Grebe
Ken Norris

Fan-tailed Cuckoo Westgate Park, Port Melbourne
Its distinctive call can be heard in the northern section of the park.
George Fotheringham

Rufous Fantail Clematis (near Emerald)
Seen briefly at water dish then photographed from distance at 4.45 today. Yearly visitor to our home, first sighting for this year.
Arthur Carew

Eastern Koel Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne
I heard the distinctive call of an Eastern Koel at about 12.45 pm in the Gardens. I headed towards the call and located the bird calling from a densely foliaged Queensland Kauri in the Eastern Lawn. I could not see the bird but am confident of the vocal identification.
Matthew Heron

Powerful Owl Kangaroo Flat
Head calling at 1:20am this morning.
David Mcinnes

Tue 13 Nov Pink-eared Duck Chiltern Mt Pilot National Park
Pink-eared Duck (6) 2 nesting at #1 dam in a hollow log out on the water (just like Pizzey says they do!) 4 at #2 dam
Angus Hartshorn

Tue 13 Nov Channel- billed Cuckoo Berwick
Seen flying, chased by Australian Magpies. This is the 4th year in a row that a bird has been recorded in this area of east Berwick.
Graham Beal

Great Crested Grebe and Glossy Ibis Truganina Swamp, Altona
Breeding plumage Great Crested Grebe bobbing in front of the hide at 6:40pm. Glossy Ibis flew over heading west. Both new for me at this site and the Grebe not recorded here on Eremaea. Also 8 PInk-Eared ducks and all the current usual suspects including huge number of Avocets and Marsh Sandpipers, Banded Stilts etc.
Colin Clark

Mon 12 Nov White headed Pigeon Archibald Drive Metung
Single bird. Spent some time eating seed from a bird feeder in back garden.
Jo Hope

Black Falcon Reef Hills State Park
Seen cruising over the Hume Freeway just south of Benalla.
Sean Dooley

Wood Sandpiper Lake Rd, Connewarre. lignum swamp
Bird reported by Tom Fletcher on 6/11/12 still present at small pond close to the road. Lat 38.24501, Long 144.4088. Also Red-kneed Dotterel, Black-tailed Native-Hen, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper and many Spotted Crakes.
Barry Lingham, Tom Fletcher, Gordon McCarthy

Common Koel Quarry Hill (Bendigo)
The Koel I first reported being here on the 22 of last month is still here and still calling starting at about 2.30am each morning and continues intermittently during the day. He has taken up residence in a large fig tree in the yard of a house on the corner of Peel and Harkness Streets. Due to how loud he is and how far his call carries he has even made an appearance in the Local paper because of the interest he has created.
Greg McKay

Sun 11 Nov Golden Plover (15), Grey-Tailed Tattler (2), Ruddy Turnstones, Caspian Tern Reef Island, Westernport

Keith Caldecott, Andrew Caldecott

Diamond Firetail Boundary Road Lindenow South East Gippsland
Single adult bird feeding on Danthonia seed heads on my property.
Faye Bedford

Pacific Golden Plover Western Treatment Plant
Single bird located on foreshore about 150 metres from the Bird Hide on Geelong side.
Bernie O'Keefe

Scarlet Honeyeater Bushy Park Wetlands

Leslie Rasmussen

Australian Koel Newtown, Geelong
One bird heard calling late afternoon.
Glen White

Red-capped Robin You Yangs Regional Park
Red-capped Robin (4). Two separate pairs. One pair nesting
Angus Hartshorn

Sacred Kingfisher Maribyrnong River, Avondale Heights

Natalie Lumsden

Thu 1 Nov Diamond Firetail Briagolong, Gippsland
These birds have been visiting my place as long as I have lived here (2004). But this year they seem to be hanging around and their numbers are increasing to perhaps flocks of about 20.
Jane Hildebrant

Mon 29 Oct Dollarbird Gundowring - Keiwa Valley, Victoria
The bird was perched in a dead Eucalypt, I observed the bird for 15 minutes. I had a clear veiw from the road directly beneath the tree. This bird is easy to I.D and with 35 years of watching birds and leading bird excursions I am absolutely sure of what I saw. I also realised it was a bird not seen in that area often and that is why I reported it along with the other birds from Gundowring.
Cecily Falkingham

Sun 28 Oct Australian Koel Bendigo
I pictured in fig tree early morning with Paul and Ruth Dodd,picture taken at great distance
Sanderson Topham,Paul and Ruth Dodd

Tue 23 Oct Osprey, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Singing Honeyeater Point Nepean
Osprey was observed from Defence Rd near Fort Pearce flying in an easterly direction. Was not aware of the significance of the sighting until I showed a birder friend (Neville Pamment) the photographs hence late report. A number of Spiny-cheecked Honeyeaters were observed from Coles Track not far from Observation Point. One Singing Honeyeater observed from Military Rd near Pearce Barracks. Further images of the Osprey and images of the honeyeaters are available if required.
Bernie Kuenne

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.