birding-aus

Please help with wader ID

To: <>
Subject: Please help with wader ID
From: Ákos Lumnitzer <>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:45:04 +1100
Hi birders

A friend of mine gave me explicit permission to use his photo to help in our
quest to ID the bird. He is copied in the e-mail too.

See image here: http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d/7903-1/Untitled-1.jpg

There was a healthy discussion among a few of us and many are calling it a
non-breeding Double-banded Plover. To me it does not appear right. The legs
are black, the bill is longer and more tapered. A DbP should have yellowish
legs and a far shorter bill when compared to body size. I don?t know, to me,
the bird appears to be a Red-necked Stint.

Can any of you knowledgeable birders suggest what these two small birds in
front of the godwits are?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards

Akos