birding-aus

The birds and the bees - nectar feeders

To: Tim Dolby <>, "" <>
Subject: The birds and the bees - nectar feeders
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 04:12:16 -0800 (PST)
Hi Tim,

The article seems to be about Victorian beekeepers, so may not be a true
reflection for impending conditions for nectivores in south-eastern Australia.

Either way, it is interesting in light of what we saw in NSW this year, which
was a "Spotted Gum" year by all accounts. The Spotted Gums (Corymbia maculata)
only flower every 3 or 4 years and when they do it really turns it on for
nectar-loving birds and mammals. It was a particularly good year in the Hunter
and the South Coast of NSW, where about 400/1200 Swift Parrots were recorded
respectively (the latter being the biggest known concentration anywhere).
Thousands of Flying-foxes departed camps and headed for these areas as well.
Regent Honeyeaters were in good numbers (100+) in the Hunter as well, alomost
certainly in response to the Spotted Gum blossom (the last big Spotted Gum year
here was 2009 and we had similar numbers then as well). Having said that, the
other "key species" in coastal NSW (Swamp Mahogany) did not go this year, so
perhaps will next year. It will be interesting to see what transpires next year
with this article's message in mind
 and the probable low-key Spotted Gum event.

Mick