birding-aus

Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update
Date: 12 Nov 2012 01:31:40 +1000

Birdline Tasmania

Published sightings for the week ending 11 Nov 2012.

Sun 11 Nov Satin Flycatcher Halls Falls, Blue Tier
Calling from high up in trees as we left, no 'Koala Crick' just bird neck strain, lucky for App with bird calls in isolating what to look for
Samantha Greiner

Sat 10 Nov Shy Albatross Mt William National Park
First seen on horizon then flew in close to shore near light house assisted by strong off shore winds
Samantha Greiner

Thu 8 Nov Striated Pardalote Medeas Cove Conservation Area, St Helens
Striated Pardalote (6) all looking at nest holes in side of sandy cut away beside rd, much chatter and wing display between pairs
Samantha Greiner

Thu 8 Nov Musk Duck St Helens Conservation Area, Moriarty Lagoon
Heard - first the spashy display, and then the whistle call to attract female.
Samantha Greiner

Striated Fieldwren St Helen Conservation Area, Stieglitz
Pair in small heathy erea with low Eucalypts behind Shaft Lagoon.
Samantha Greiner

Wed 7 Nov Little Egret Colchis Creek Mouth, Georges Bay, St Helens
Possible pair in breeding plumage, resting on small island busy grooming.
Samantha Greiner

Tue 6 Nov Black-shouldered Kite St Helens Point State Rec' Area, Boat Ramp
Sitting on rocks near boat ramp, very subdued looking. Both my sister and I had good look at bird. Easily recognised by white head and black marking on shoulder.
Samantha Greiner

Sun 4 Nov Arctic Skua Cornellian Bay, Hobart
One (dark phase) seen pursuing silver gulls and then resting on the water
Keith Reid

Birdline Tasmania is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.